Thursday, April 15, 2010

help zeus


This was the first picture I ever saw of Zeus, back when he was living at a foster home in SiberRescue. I met him once when I was adopting my first puppy, but I didn't know he had to be mine until I read his story. He was rescued when he was three years old, from his owners who had him chained up outside for his entire life. His fur was burned to wire and was severely underweight when he was found wandering the streets, but to add onto that, the sun damage from the lack of protection and complete neglect had left him with cataracts, causing him to be completely blind.


I adopted him two years ago when I was only 21 and everyone I knew thought that I was absolutely crazy to take on a dog with such issues. Zeus was not only completely neglected by his previous owners, but was consistently picked on by the dogs he lived with while in foster care. This wasn't an easy fix, and it's taken a lot of work to get him to trust again, but being the kind of person who always needs to help, I never gave up. It's been two years and he's been an absolute angel, but now he's facing further pain. I recently found out that his cataracts, that if he was cared for he never would have had to begin with, have given him glaucoma and retinal atrophy. His eyes are swelling, causing him to have a constant migraine. Imagine being in his shoes, it's a horrible feeling. Now, because of this, Zeus needs to have his eyes removed and unfortunately it's quite an expensive surgery.


This is Zeus today. His eyes have gotten so swollen from the glaucoma, that it causes him pain to even open them. We've been trying homeopathic remedies to try to keep him comfortable until I have raised the money for the surgery. With the help of family and friends, I've managed to raise about $400 but I still have a long way to go, so if you can donate even a dollar, it really does go a long way. Thanks to everyone who has been so amazing through all of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment